Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
February 17, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Chris Ossont, Sharon Sweeney, Sarah Wimer, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa- PCL Treasurer Excused:
*Those missing last month will sign the “Conflict of Interest” agreement.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the January 20, 2022 PCL Annual Organizational Meeting and the minutes of the Regular Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.” After discussion, it was agreed that any numbers( salaries, expenditures, etc.) included in a motion would be published in the minutes.)
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for January 2022 was unanimously approved.”
After discussion and clarification and Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the revised January 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #2, vouchers 2022-21 --- 2022-30, with $7,116.32 funds requested and approximately $16,000 for payroll transferred.”
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee:No meeting in January. The committee just met last night, minutes will be shared digitally. Next meeting March 16, 6:30.
Policy Committee: No January meeting. Next meeting March 3 at 5:00.
Facilities Committee: Will be meeting.
Evaluation Committee: Feb. minutes to be shared digitally. Next meeting March 3, at 6:30.
Grants: Nothing new to report.
Building and Grounds: Nothing new to discuss.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Debbie presented an updated Operations Policy, Building Use Policy , and Claims Auditor Policy. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept the Operations Policy as written.” A second motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept the revised Building Use Policy”. A third motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept the updated Claims Auditor Policy”.
· Patricia provided an update on the Supplemental Collection.
· Patricia shared changes to the Youth Services Clerk job description. After discussion a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept the amended Youth Services Clerk job description”. She discussed Molly’s addition to the staff and, after discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to hire Tess Gibala-Broxholm to work 10-12 hours per week, at $13.90/hour”, as Molly will not have time for desk duty.
· Patricia will call to share our intent to apply for the Causewave Grant by the 2/18/22 deadline.
· Debbie brought up the topic of insurance coverage for Trustee Liability associated with PCL Board work. She will look into this further and future discussion will be planned.
· Patricia discussed the aging/slow laptop previously used by Sheila, currently assigned to Molly. After discussion, the Board gave verbal approval for Patricia to purchase a new Dell computer for Molly’s use as Youth Services Clerk.
· Debbie suggested the PCL’s Amazon bill paying process would be simplified/clarified by paying with the PCL credit card, and the Board and Sheryl agreed.
· Mike initiated a discussion on the upcoming Long Range Plan…how should we proceed? Are time consuming focus groups necessary? Can the work be accomplished by the whole Board? Will continue to explore.
· Mike asked about “Caregiver Kits” for people helping loved ones with dementia. OWWL used to provide, but no longer?
· Patricia proudly announced that PCL is now the pick up/drop off location for Meals on Wheels, yet another service being provided to our community.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the March 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
2. Create a committee to begin planning for the next PCL Strategic Plan.(include info on the garage, sustainable payroll increases, evaluation procedures.)
3. Revisit next month the issue of separation pay for Sheila’s unused days. Was this policy updated?
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, March
17, 2022, 6:30.