Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
October 20, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Sharon Sweeney, Sarah Wimer, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer Excused: Chris Ossont
The Board took a few minutes for treats and a thank you to Debbie Nagle, current President, and Ian Priestley as they leave their Trustee positions.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the September 15, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for September 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the September 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #10, vouchers 2022-151 --- 2022-167, with $72,332.66 funds requested and approximately $17,000 for payroll transferred.”
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Meeting minutes of Oct. 19 were shared digitally. The next meeting will be Nov. 16. Mike outlined budget work and updated several current bank rates for CDs. After discussion, a motion was duly made, seconded and unanimously approved to “authorize PCL Treasurer, Sheryl LaDelfa to open a 10 month CD at Canandaigua National Bank, with a current interest rate of 2.15%”. Debbie shared a Vender Billing Process Policy for discussion. It was decided that a policy was not needed at this time. Sheryl reminded the Board that W9s were needed for any vender being paid more than $600.
Policy Committee: Debbie shared a draft OWWL Education Policy of 2 hours annually for Trustees, effective 2023. After discussion, a motion was duly made, seconded and unanimously approved to “ accept the Trustee Education Policy, as written.”
Facilities Committee: Oct. 6 minutes shared. A working Project Spread Sheet was updated and shared.
Evaluation Committee: Did not meet.
Strategic Plan Committee: The committee shared a draft of a proposed Long Range Strategic Plan. After discussion, a motion was duly made, seconded, and unanimously approved to “accept the Long Range Strategic Plan for 2023-2027.” Concerning the culvert repair in the Strategic Plan, Patricia will coordinate a meeting between PCL, the motorcycle club, Modern Coating and the Village to plan shared costs and responsibility. It was suggested the village might do the work if we stakeholders paid the cost of materials.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Patricia has been talking with Diane Rhodes about the updating of the PCL website that would allow Trustee access and comment. Patricia reported that Diane is still working on this.
· Patricia shared that she has approved the proofs from ASI Signage and is waiting for the finished product, which should come in under the allotted $4,000 amount.
· Patricia shared the election results of the October Trustee Election. Welcome to the Board of Trustees, Barb Lloyd and Mary Beth Poupart, the 2 top votes. Patricia will have an updated Trustee List for the November meeting.
· Patricia reported that the latest NYS Library Construction Grant should be received by November.
· Patricia announced she had hired Darryl Amato as a part time clerk up to 15 hours, to replace Grace.
· Patricia announced an OWWL System wide initiative, The Great Give Back, to collect school supplies. PCL will be participating through the end of November.
· Patricia asked for approval of a proposed snow plowing contract from Jon Westerman, at $204 per trip plus salting of sidewalks. After discussion, a motion was duly made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept Jon Westerman’s proposal for snowplowing services for winter 2022-2023.”
· Patricia reminded all of the Haunted Library from 2-4, Sat., Oct. 29.
· With Debbie’s term on the Board ending, it is necessary to appoint an Interim Board President. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “appoint Mike Braell the Interim President, effective Nov. 1 and continuing until the next Board Elections in January 2023.”
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the November 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “adjourn at 8:00.”
Next meeting-Thursday, November 17, 2022, 6:30.