Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
December 21, 2017
Present: Carolyn Bradstreet, Deb Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Courtney Marr, Mike Braell, Shawn Williams, Patricia Baynes-Director, Kathy Wooden-Treasurer, Jennifer Voss-Clerk of the Works
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the amended meeting minutes of November 16, 2017 were unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the Director's report for November, 2017 was unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the November, 2017 Treasurer's report was unanimously approved, including abstract #12, vouchers 2017-255 - 2017-278.
There was no public comment.
Grants: The NYS Library Construction Grant is pending, with nothing new to report.
Building and Grounds:
1. .Jennifer reported receiving several estimates for replacement of the first floor air conditioning unit. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept the estimate from Potter Heating and Cooling for labor and installation of an air conditioning unit for the first floor.
2. Patricia contacted the Town of Palmyra for help with the replacement of a rear parking lot light. We are waiting for a response.
3. Carolyn reported that the previously approved tree trimming by George Newsome’s Tree Care is expected to be completed some time in December.
4. Patricia revisited a discussion of the need for resurfacing in the back parking lot, especially over the areas where water line work was done. Advice was sought from Champion Asphalt, who has previously done work for PCL, but there has been no response, to date.
5. After Carolyn’s clarification of an offer to repair the masonry of the stone foundation in the rear of the building, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept Alan Pulcini’s kind offer. He will donate his time and labor and be reimbursed only for the needed mortar supplies, not to exceed $200.
6.Patricia was approached by Pam Helming’s office, asking about future PCL needs. A grant may be available to address the back steps project.
7. Jay Harding did some light bulb replacement work for PCL at no charge and was thanked.
8. Patricia reported that Pal-Mac Plumbing was called to repair a leaking toilet in the second floor Ladies restroom.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
After more discussion of the NYLA Sustainability webinar and membership, it was agreed that more study was necessary before deciding if PCL will pay to join the NYLA initiative. It was noted that PLS has not yet made that decision either.
Several names were suggested as possible replacement for the open PCL Trustee position. Interest of the individuals will be pursued.
Extensive reports were received from PLS Ron Kirsop. After taking time to review and discuss the information, 4 top items were proposed for inclusion in our next five year plan. They are Sustainability, Ongoing Construction, Adult Programming and Outreach/PR.
Patricia noted a staff vacancy, with the departure of Kristina Braell. The position has been posted and other staff are currently covering the additional hours.
Patricia led a discussion on some modifications to the Meeting Room Policies. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept the recommendations.
The January Yearly Reports, created by the Board President, Director, Treasurer and Clerk of the Works will be due at the PCL Annual Organizational meeting, January 18, 2018, 6:30 p.m. Notification will be made in the Times of Wayne County, posted on the PCL website and local postings 3 days in advance of the meeting. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
Patricia presented all Board members with “Libraries are for Everyone” mugs and t shirts.
Carolyn outlined some upcoming events at PCL, including several Creative Strokes Painting activities and a felting class. Registration is required and there is a materials fee. Contact PCL for more info. Patricia, Carolyn and Deb will be meeting with Ron Kirsop on Jan. 9 to begin the process for creating our next 5 Year plan.
Round Table Discussions:
Several topics were brought up and discussed, including the April Friends of PCL Book Sale which will include a Cake sale, the contents of PCL security box, the possibility of a printed map of our PCL District.
Next meeting-Thursday, January 18, 2018, 6:30 p.m.