January 9th Special Meeting
6:30 p.m. This was an in person meeting.
Present: Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Sharon Sweeney, Chris Ossont, Sarah Wimer, Barbara Lloyd, Mary Beth Poupart, Patricia Baynes-Director Excused:
Public Comment: none
This meeting was called to begin discussion and planning for the transition to a new Director upon Patricia’s retirement, which will be effective as of March 18, 2023.
Items for Discussion:
· What title do we want to use for the Civil Service search? Possible choices are Library Director 1, which requires a MLS, or Library Manager, with service to a population of 5,000-7,499, which requires a 4 year degree.
· Mike noted Avon, Livonia and Mt. Morris are also currently looking for leadership and their experience/ search may benefit PCL.
· Patricia was asked for her input and explained pluses and minuses to a search for each job descriptor. She talked about her own experiences, the impact of education and /or experience but felt the most important criteria would be a candidate’s individual experience and skill set matching our needs.
· Mike shared a video clip on “Civil Service 101”, a beginner’s guide to how the Civil Service process works. Questions and discussion followed.
· Mike has been talking with Ron Kirsop about the process and Ron is willing to help in whatever capacity we need. He suggested we decide on which title to use before contacting Civil Service to begin the search process. (This will require more discussion and a Board decision.)
· A Director Search Committee was formed, comprised of Mike, Mary Beth, Sandy and Sharon. This committee will be tasked with preliminary gathering of applications and screenings. Patricia requested a staff member be included on the interview committee.
Next Director Search Committee meeting will be Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023, 5:30.