Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
September 16, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
This is an in person meeting.
Present: Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Sharon Sweeney, Chris Ossont, Sarah Wimer, Sheryl LaDelfa –Treasurer, Patricia Baynes- Director Excused: Debbie Nagle, Ian Priestley
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the updated minutes of the August 19, 2021 were unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the Director's report for August 2021 was unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded,” the updated August 2021 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #9, vouchers 2021-143 --- 2021-163.” Sheryl also reported the Town Supervisor had been advised of the PCL budget, that the annual Worker’s Compensation insurance audit was done, and that she had transferred money from the Memorial Fund to the Operating Fund for payment to Down to Earth Landscaping. She shared that the 2020 audit may be available at the October meeting and was reminded the Trustees wanted to see copies of the audit before presentation to the Board.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Just met last night. Mike shared that 2 options for staff salary increases, as well as a proposed Budget Draft for 2022 would be shared at the October Board meeting.
Policy Committee: no meetings scheduled
Facilities Committee: will be meeting next Thursday
1.Patricia shared that we’re awaiting approval on the amended 2021 Library Construction Grant for security camera updates. Patricia has received 2 estimates for the security system update.
2.The 2022 Construction Grant for replacing/repainting of rotting window sills and rehabilitation of the rear parking lot has received preliminary approval from PLS. We should hear something by next August. Plan to start on the windowsills next spring.
Building and Grounds:
1.Patricia reported the receipt of 2 estimates from Greenside Design and Frank Record Jr. Construction for repair of the footbridge over the creek. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to ”accept the estimate for repair of the footbridge from Greenside Design, payable from Building Reserve Funds”. ( Previously mentioned as a possible Eagle Scout Project, a refurbishment of the Gazebo was suggested instead.)
2.Patricia updated the Fire Escape repair, noting Gary had replaced the railings and hoped to work on the damaged bricks before winter.
3.Ian is working on the repair of the creek pipe, checking on who’s responsible for the repairs and what steps should be taken next.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Patricia updated the Board on current staffing needs. With Sydney and Ryan leaving for jobs and Moira breaking her leg, Patricia reported the hiring of Molly Budziszewski as a part time clerk. ( The Board had previously approved Patricia filling these spots.)
· Patricia led a discussion of PLS’s Free Direct Access Plan and the need to have 22 libraries in the system agree. After further discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “ accept the PLS Free Direct Access Plan for 2022-2026.”
· Patricia talked about the current mask requirements at PCL. “ if you’re not vaccinated, please wear a mask, with all strongly encouraged to wear a mask while inside the Library.”
· Patricia reported the compressor on the second floor air conditioner is broken. The compressor is under warranty but there are no replacements available at this time.
· The Board was reminded of various Trustee workshops being offered by PLS, including How to Evaluate your Director Nov. 8, and Facilities Planning for Your Library, Dec. 6. Descriptions of the classes and registration is available on the PLS website.
· Mike reminded the Board of the timeline for upcoming Staff evaluations due Sept. 30, the Director’s by Oct. 31 and Board self evaluations by Nov. 30.
· In response to a question, Patricia replied that the garage on the PCL property would revert to PCL in 2024, that she has the file of all the legal details and will check it for our next meeting.
· Patricia shared a template from the Dept. of labor, concerning masking, spacing and self monitoring. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept the NY Hero Act, Infectious Disease Plan.”
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the September newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive up book return. (July 2020)
· On deck for 2021 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
2. Create a committee to begin planning for the next PCL Strategic Plan.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, October 21, 2021, 6:30.