Updated: Feb 21, 2022
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
December 16, 2021, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Sharon Sweeney,Sarah Wimer, Patricia Baynes- Director
Excused: Chris Ossont, Sheryl LaDelfa
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the corrected minutes of the November 18, 2021 were unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the Director's report for November 2021 was unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the revised November 2021 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #12, vouchers 2021-195 --- 2021-213, with $22,484.91 funds requested and approximately $16,000 for payroll transfer.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Mike shared that the committee met Dec. 15 and had worked at refining a 2022 Budget draft, including where to put any year end budget surplus, a plan to include RACF interest. Sandy will share the Dec.. minutes digitally.
Policy Committee: Debbie reported the committee met on Nov. 30 and has several proposed policies for the Board to consider tonight.
Facilities Committee: Updated Security cameras will be installed mid Jan. 4, 2022. Patricia has received 1 painting estimate for outside work, an estimate from Jon Couwells for the window sill project. She also clarified that Jon Westerman will plow all areas, including the rear parking lot, even though the contract states otherwise.(He needs to update the invoices he’s using.)
1.Nothing new to report except installation change date of the 2020 Construction Grant-Security cameras to Jan. 4, 2022.
Building and Grounds:
1.Nothing new to discuss.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022.
Patricia was excused and the Board entered into Executive seesion at 6:50 for purposes of discussing the Director’s self evaluation. The Board exited Executive session at 7:00 and Patricia returned. As Patricia meets expectations, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept the Director’s review.”
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Mike and Sarah led a discussion of the results of the Trustees’ self reflection as well as some staff input. One issue to further explore is transition planning, including written day to day operations of PCL, how payroll works, security alarm operation, etc. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to” accept the Board self evaluation and staff survey.”
· After discussion of a final draft of the 2022 PCL budget, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept the “Proposed $345,700 - 2022 PCL Budget.” After further discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to transfer the equivalent of the PPE $ ($37,453.00) from Operational Funds to the Capital Fund.”
· Patricia shared a staffing issue. Stephanie Thane is resigning, effective 12/31/21. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept “Patricia’s recommendation to hire Lori Strablow, effective Jan. 1, 2022 for 14 hours per week at a rate of $13.90/hour.”
· Patricia opened a discussion of adding June 19 Juneteenth to the list of PCL holidays. She will present a full list of proposed holidays for PCL at the Jan. 20, 2022 meeting for Board approval.
· As part of an annual review, Patricia suggested the Board update the “Fire system Emergency contact.” After discussion, Debbie Nagle was appointed to be that contact.
· The Policy committee submitted several proposed policy drafts for the Board’s approval. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded, and unanimously approved to accept “The Petty Cash Policy, The Reserve Fund Policy, and The Bill Payment Policy.” It was noted that a Capitalization Policy is still needed.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the January 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
2. Create a committee to begin planning for the next PCL Strategic Plan.(include info on the garage, sustainable payroll increases.)
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, January 20, 2022, 6:30.