Updated: Feb 21, 2022
Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
November 18, 2021, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Chris Ossont, Sharon Sweeney, Sheryl LaDelfa –Treasurer, Patricia Baynes- Director
Excused: Sarah Wimer
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the revised minutes of the October 21, 2021 were unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the Director's report for October 2021 was unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the updated October 2021 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #11, vouchers 2021-180 --- 2021-194, with $30,452.92 funds requested and approximately $16,000 for payroll transfer.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Mike shared that the committee had been working on a 2022 Budget draft, including where to put any year end budget surplus, a plan to include RACF interest. Sheryl attended the Nov. 17 meeting to provide insight and suggestions. Sandy will share the Nov. minutes digitally.
Policy Committee: Debbie reported plans to meet the first week of December.
Facilities Committee: Ian shared Nov. minutes digitally. Security cameras to be installed mid Nov. Culvert replacement remains a concern, cooperation being sought from neighbors and village. They do not plan to meet in Dec.
1.Nothing new to report on 2020 Construction Grant-Security camera update.
2.The 2022 Construction Grant for replacing/repainting of rotting window sills and rehabilitation of the rear parking lot has received preliminary approval from PLS. We should hear something by next August.
Building and Grounds:
1.Nothing new to discuss.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Dec. 6- Workshop- Facilities Planning for Your Library
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Mike shared a preliminary draft budget for the Board to discuss, including updates suggested at the recent Finance Committee meeting. Mike expressed a want to replenish the Capital Fund and asked Sheryl to project expenses for Jan. and Feb. 2022 at the Dec. Board of Trustees meeting. It is expected that, after further discussion, a PCL 2022 Budget vote will take place.
· The Board was reminded of various Trustee workshops being offered by PLS, including How to Evaluate your Director Nov. 8, and Facilities Planning for Your Library, Dec. 6. Descriptions of the classes and registration is available on the PLS website.
· Mike reminded the Board that Trustee Effectiveness evaluations are due by Nov. 30.
· The Board discussed providing Christmas/Appreciation gifts for PCL staff. Sandy will write cards for each and it was decided to provide daily “treats”, Mon.-Thurs. beginning Dec. 13for the staff’s enjoyment.
2020 PCL Full Audit presentation: Mike DeBadts– Mengel Metzger Barr and Co.
See complete Audit materials for details, but Mike highlighted a few areas of interest:
· Bank Reconciliations- suggested a corrective action needed to reconcile the accounting system and prepared bank statements.
· Disbursements- recommended all supporting documentation be signed or initialed when goods or services have been received, prior to payment.
· Segregation of Duties- recommended the Library continue to look for opportunities to strengthen and implement oversight controls.
· Policies and Procedures- suggested the Library have formal policies and procedures for Online Banking, Capitalization, Data Backup and Retention, Capital change order procedures, Vendor adding and tracking procedures (requesting W-9s and issuance of 1099s)
· Other Items- GASB Statement #87 Leases (does not apply to PCL, we have no leases), Cyber Risk Management documented and cyber risk assessment process in writing (PLS involved with this).
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the December newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
· On deck for 2021 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
2. Create a committee to begin planning for the next PCL Strategic Plan.(include info on the garage, sustainable payroll increases.)
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, December 16, 2021, 6:30.