- Sandy Goehle
Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
October 21, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Chris Ossont, Sarah Wimer, Sheryl LaDelfa –Treasurer, Patricia Baynes- Director
Excused: Sharon Sweeney
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the revised minutes of the September 16, 2021 were unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the Director's report for September 2021 was unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, September 2021 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #10, vouchers 2021-164 --- 2021-179, with $12,574.63 funds requested and approximately $15,000 for payroll. Upon a second motion duly made, seconded, and unanimously approved “authorizing the Treasurer to transfer $2,098.90 from the Building Reserves to the Operational Funds.” Sheryl shared that the 2020 audit will be available at the November meeting and was reminded the Trustees wanted to see copies of the audit before the presentation to the Board.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Mike shared that the committee had been working on a 2022 Budget draft, including where to put any year end budget surplus, a plan to include RACF interest. Sheryl will be invited to the Nov. 17 meeting. Sandy will share the Oct. minutes digitally.
Policy Committee: Debbie plans to send out options for a meeting.
Facilities Committee: Met in September, Ian shared minutes digitally. They plan to meet again on October 28.
1.Patricia shared 2 estimates for the proposed 2020 Library Construction Grant for security camera updates. Doyle Security’s estimate was $23,470. SG Security’s estimate was $15,495.(It was noted that Geneva, Canandaigua and Livonia all use SG Security.) After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept SG Security’s estimate for the security camera system update and authorize the Treasurer to make payment from the Capital Reserve Funds.”
2.The 2022 Construction Grant for replacing/repainting of rotting window sills and rehabilitation of the rear parking lot has received preliminary approval from PLS. We should hear something by next August.
Building and Grounds:
1.Patricia reported the receipt of a snow plowing proposal from Jon Westerman. His estimate has increased to $170 per plow trip, but includes sidewalks and all parking areas. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept Jon Westerman’s contract for snow removal services for winter 2021-2022.”
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Mike shared a preliminary draft budget for the Board to discuss, specifically Proposal #1 and Proposal #2 for salaries. Sheryl will attend the Nov. 17 Finance Committee’s meeting to refine and update the budget numbers.
· The Board was reminded of various Trustee workshops being offered by PLS, including How to Evaluate your Director Nov. 8, and Facilities Planning for Your Library, Dec. 6. Descriptions of the classes and registration is available on the PLS website.
· Mike reminded the Board of the timeline for upcoming Staff evaluations due Sept. 30, the Director’s by Oct. 31 and Board self evaluations by Nov. 30.
· Patricia shared and discussed a memo received from Ron, containing a revision to the Open Meetings Law. We appear to be in compliance.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the October newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
· On deck for 2021 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
2. Create a committee to begin planning for the next PCL Strategic Plan.(include info on the garage, sustainable payroll increases.)
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, November 18, 2021, 6:30.