Updated: Jan 9
Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
November 17, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Chris Ossont, Sharon Sweeney, Barbara Lloyd, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer Excused: Sarah Wimer, Mary Beth Poupart
Oath of Office: Barbara Lloyd signed the Oath of Office and Patricia notarized it.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the October 20, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for October 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the October 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #11, vouchers 2022-168 --- 2022-182, with $26,511.84 funds requested and approximately $17,000 for payroll transferred.”
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Meeting minutes of Nov. 16 were shared digitally. The next meeting will be Dec. 14. Mike outlined budget work and updated several line items. Sheryl LaDelfa opened a 10 month CD at Canandaigua National Bank. Further budget discussions to follow, with the goal of approving the budget at the December meeting.
Policy Committee: Did not meet.
Facilities Committee: Did not meet.
Evaluation Committee: Did not meet.
Strategic Plan Committee: No longer necessary.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022-2023. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· A discussion of Diane Rhodes’s request of $1,200 for ongoing PCL website management took place. Suggestions included a trial period, parameters/time frame for site updates, secondary administrative rights to access and update the site (possibly Patricia, Allison, Molly), creation of a Trustee portal, only external policies to be located on the PCL website. Patricia will speak to Diane and report back.
· Mike led a discussion of the proposed 2023 PCL Budget updates, as well as some areas such as future payroll. A December Board vote is the goal. There is no audit of PCL scheduled for 2023, information will be sought on Auditors used by area libraries.
· Patricia shared that she has approved the proofs from ASI Signage and is waiting for the finished product, possibly before the next meeting. Installation will still need to take place.
· Patricia reported that the latest NYS Library Construction Grant should be received any day now.
· Mike asked Patricia to report on status of the Director’s Evaluation Project in December. She has already completed a huge amount of work on “The PCL Operations Manual” and is enjoying it. Patricia did ask if the project might extend into 2023 and the Board agreed.
· Mike shared a conversation he had with Mary Hartstein from RACF concerning making donations to the RACF Endowment Fund and was told this was possible. Conversation to continue.
· The Board discussed a Staff Appreciation Event and agreed to provide treats to staff over several days in March. Sandy will write Christmas cards for the Board to sign.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the November 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “adjourn at 7:45.”
Next meeting-Thursday, December 15, 2022, 6:30.