Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
April 21, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Sharon Sweeney, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa- PCL Treasurer Excused: Chris Ossont, Sarah Wimer
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the amended minutes of the March 17, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for March 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the March 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #4, vouchers 2022-46 --- 2022-62, with $8,056.34 funds requested and approximately $16,000 for payroll transferred.” Sheryl reported signing a commitment letter with Mengel, Metzger, Barr to do PCL 2021 taxes.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: March minutes were shared digitally. The April 20, 6:30 meeting was cancelled.
Policy Committee: Did not meet.
Facilities Committee: Did not meet.
Evaluation Committee: Minutes of April 11, 2022 meeting were shared digitally.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to transfer $20,000 of the 2021 budget overage to the Building Reserve Fund.”
· Patricia shared a 2022 mowing contract proposal received from Dave Peck, which is basically the same as last year, $30 per trip. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept Dave Peck’s mowing contract for 2022.”
· Patricia provided an updated Sexual Harassment Policy for Board discussion. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept the updated Sexual Harassment Policy.” Patricia will also share the NYS Sexual Harassment Training link with staff and the Board.
· Debbie shared that she had talked to Diane Rhodes about creating an area on the PCL website for policy storage. A Policy Manual will become available, where policies may be viewed, changed or updated by the Board securely, as well as viewable by the public.
Patricia and Debbie reviewed proposed changes to PCL Insurance coverage with JD Chapman Agency. All changes/updates will cost less than $1,000 and include Cyber Liability Insurance ($167 for $100,000 coverage), Garage at 336 E. Main St.($20,000 coverage), Employment Related Practice Liability Insurance to cover Board, officers and volunteers($150 for $250,000 coverage). Patricia is currently working on paperwork to apply for the stated coverages.
· Patricia reported that Western NY Flooring would be refinishing the first floor wooden floors on June 16-20, during which PCL would be closed. (The 2 coats to be applied require drying time in between coats.) She also asked for help moving furniture on Wednesday, June 15.
· Patricia shared that Suzanne from PLS noted our 2021 NYS Library Construction Grant was increased to a total of $25,629, with payment expected in September.
· Patricia had a conversation with Allyn Stelljes who will serve as our Causewave Grant mentor. She would like to meet with Patricia to begin planning of the Stakeholder Perception Survey, which may also include discussion of goals with Allison (staff) and PCL patrons. It was suggested we see how the surveys go before planning focus groups. A committee consisting of Patricia, Allison, Mike, and Debbie was formed to lead the creation of the next PCL Long Range Plan.
· Patricia also reported the trim painting/window sill replacement project has been scheduled.
· A discussion concerning a 2022 Dixie Pritte Awards event took place, with a tentative June date and several suggested recipients. Further discussion to take place at May Board meeting.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the May 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, May 19, 2022, 6:30.