Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
September 15, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagel, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Sharon Sweeney, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer Excused: Chris Ossont, Sarah Wimer
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the August 18, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for August 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the August 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #9, vouchers 2022-133 --- 2022-150, with $33,379.99 funds requested and approximately $17,000 for payroll transferred.”
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Meeting minutes of Sept. 14 were shared digitally. The next meeting will be Oct. 19.
Policy Committee: Patricia noted a new OWWL Education Policy of 2 hours annually for Trustees, effective 2023.
Facilities Committee: Did not meet.
Evaluation Committee: Did not meet.
Strategic Plan Committee: Have been working on the next plan, asked and received Board approval of a 5 year plan (rather than 3 year).
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Because of the amount of time and work involved with creating a Strategic Plan, Patricia, Debbie and Mike suggested a 5 year duration for our next Strategic Plan. The Board agreed.
· Debbie shared an amended Purchase Policy. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “accept the amended Purchase Policy.”
· Patricia has been talking with Diane Rhodes about the updating of the PCL website that would allow Trustee access and comment. It was suggested that “material on our website be kept in PDF form, to allow for Trustee access and comment, but with Diane retaining the sole responsibility for making changes.”
· Patricia shared that she has proofs from ASI Signage and is working to finalize details before printing.
· Patricia shared an election update for the October Trustee Election. It will be Oct. 11, 12;00-9:00 at the Library. There are 3 candidates for 2 open positions, Edward Doyle, Barb Lloyd and Mary Beth Poupart.
· Patricia updated the Board on the painting project, Larry Harloff is now finished with all the trim. The rented lift was used by all 3 contractors (trim painting, window sill repair and masonry work), and will be paid for next month.
· Patricia reported the ongoing paving project of the rear Parking Lot, with final paving expected on Friday. She also noted that the motorcycle club in the rear of the Library would pay for the section closest to their building.
· Patricia asked for volunteers to man the table at the third floor Art show on Saturday and Sunday of Canal Town Days, several Board members offered to help.
· Patricia announced an OWWL System wide initiative, The Great Give Back, to collect school supplies. PCL will be participating.
· Patricia asked for and received authorization to seek plowing contracts for the upcoming winter.
· Patricia reported that Grace is leaving at the end of Sept. and that she was already advertising for a new clerk for up to 15 hours.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the October 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building. 2. Next Long Range Plan- discussed possibility of adding a position of Building Superintendent to help keep up with Library maintenance.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “adjourn at 7:45.”
Next meeting-Thursday, October 20, 2022, 6:30.