Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
August 18, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Sharon Sweeney, Sarah Wimer, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer Excused: Debbie Nagle, Chris Ossont
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the July 21, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for July 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the July 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #8, vouchers 2022-114 --- 2022-132, with $20,216.11 funds requested and approximately $16,000 for payroll transferred.” Patricia noted we may be over budge for E-books. Mike discussed the possibility of putting a portion of the Memorial Fund into a higher yield situation. Sheryl will check out some options and report back to the Board.
Public Comment: Barb Lloyd expressed interest in the Board meeting, which is open to the public.
Finance Committee: clarification of Aug. 3 minutes, ie US Treasury Bills. Next meeting will be Sept. 14, with Patricia and Sheryl invited to begin the 2023 budget process.
Policy Committee: Did not meet.(Debbie updating the Purchase Policy)
Facilities Committee: Did not meet.(Need to meet to discuss the culvert issue)
Evaluation Committee: Did not meet.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Patricia and Mike provided an update on the Causewave Stakeholder Perception Survey after meeting with the facilitator to discuss the survey findings. The committee will schedule their next meeting to begin writing the next Strategic Plan for PCL.
· Patricia led a discussion of the painting/window sill project. The damaged window sills are replaced and Larry Harloff is about halfway finished with the trim painting. An equipment use problem with a neighbor was resolved.
· Patricia updated the back parking lot project. A date has been set with All County Construction, to complete the paving project at the end of August or beginning of September.
· Patricia shared that ASI Signage is running behind but may soon have proofs of the new signs for her.
· Patricia reported that Betsey Lewis and the Loan Closet volunteers were excited to have been nominated for the Dixie Pritte awards. The ceremony will take place at PCL on Tuesday, September 13, at 7:00 p.m. A punch and cookie reception will follow the awards. Help is needed to set up tables in the afternoon. Patricia noted several local politicians planned to attend.
· Patricia shared that 3 petitions have been picked up for the October Trustee Election.
· Patricia discussed a loose mortar/brick situation on the third floor, west side of the building. With help from Gary, the situation was evaluated and several estimates for repair were sought. After further discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “ to accept the estimate from Alan Pulcini for $11,500 to repair the mortar on the 3rd floor, west side of the building, with funding for the repair to be paid from Building Reserve fund.” He estimated it might take 5-6 days and he could start right away to take advantage of the lift equipment already on the premises.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the September 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building. 2. Next Long Range Plan- discussed possibility of adding a position of Building Superintendent to help keep up with Library maintenance.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn at 7:20.
Next meeting-Thursday, September 15, 2022, 6:30.