Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
February 16, 2023, 6:30 p.m.
Present: Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Chris Ossont, Barbara Lloyd, Mary Beth Poupart, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer Excused: Sarah Wimer, Sharon Sweeney
Board Training session with Ron Kirsop, OWWL Director:
Ron talked about the process of interviewing candidates for our Library Manager position. He discussed parameters for questions and shared several suggestions. Ron also shared a sample rubric for scoring interviews. After answering Trustee questions, Ron reiterated that he could be available to help in any capacity we deem necessary, as the interview process moves forward. The Board was appreciative of his input and ongoing support.
With 2 new Trustees, Mike suggested each Board member take a minute to introduce themselves.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the January 19, 2023 Annual Organizational Meeting and the Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Special Board Meeting minutes: Upon a motion made and duly seconded, “ the minutes of the Special Board Meetings of Jan. 9, 2023 and February 1, 2023 were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for January 2023 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the January 2023 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #2, vouchers 2023-18--- 2023-32, with $13,134.69 funds requested and approximately $17,500 for payroll transferred.” Sheryl noted that she was working on the PCL 990 tax form and the annual financial update for NYS.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: No January meeting. Mike reported receipt of a positive quarterly report from the PCL Grantmaking account. Next meeting is March 15, 2023.
Policy Committee: Did not meet.
Facilities Committee: Did not meet.
Evaluation Committee: Did not meet.
Director Search committee: Search Committee minutes of Jan. 17, and Jan. 30, were shared digitally and accepted by the Board. The next meeting will be Feb. 24 at 6:30.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the OWWL website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2023. There are several workshops of interest coming up. Reminder of 2 hour Trustee Educational requirement. (Ron noted the in service training of this evening would count as 1 hour of Trustee Educational requirements.)
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Ron discussed several ways a candidate demonstration/presentation might be used for a “meet and greet” for the staff, after which, staff input would be requested.
· A note of Congratulations will be sent to Kathryn Rowe, on behalf of the Board, in acknowledgement of her receiving the OWWLie “Jill of All Trades Award” . Patricia reports that “Kathryn does so many things for PCL above and beyond her Library Clerk duties.” Well done, Kathryn.
· Patricia shared that she was working on the “PCL 2022 Annual Report for Public & Association Libraries.” She hopes to submit it to OWWL for review and have it back for Board approval at the March 16, 2023 meeting, before submitting it to NYS.
· Patricia is checking into requirements of Community Bank and LNB, for the transition of removing her as a signee on the credit card, safe deposit box and other bank accounts. She reported that motions removing her and authorizing other signees would be required, with the Board minutes, making note of those motions, to accompany the banking transitions.
· Patricia shared that she would be willing to stay on past her original retirement date, if no Manager is in place or to ease the transition of a new Manager.
· Patricia noted Diane Rhodes had established a secure Trustee portal and shared the procedure for accessing the PCL website in an e mail today. She added that Alison will also be able to access this portal as needed.
· Patricia shared that the new library signs have been installed by Gary LaBerge , with many thanks for his help in finishing the project.
· Mike led a discussion of previous plans for a Staff Appreciation Week, suggesting we hold off until April 24-29, which is National Library Week. All present were in agreement.
· Mike shared that he had received a letter from Wayne County Civil Service for approval of the new job title at PCL of “Library Manager”.
· Barb noted peeling paint on the handrail of the side steps ( results of being hit by the wrong way truck), might make gripping the handrail uncomfortable. Further discussion to follow.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the February newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2023-2027:
· Develop a plan to replace the culvert under the South driveway entrance.
· Develop a plan for the use of the current garage space, which will revert back to PCL ownership in 2024.
· Offer programs that appeal to community members.
· Offer collections in multiple formats that reflect current interests and needs of community members.
· Increase community awareness of PCL services through the use of social media, social marketing, etc.
· Increase collaboration with community organizations.
· Adapt PCL services and offerings to the ever growing and ever changing world of technology.
· Explore new and innovative technologies that could provide savings in utility costs, etc.
· Continue to develop a long term financial plan that will minimize use of PCL resources as well as ensure the funding necessary to cover projected annual operational expenses.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “adjourn at 8:10.”
Next meeting- Thursday, March 16, 2023, 6:30.