Palmyra Community Library Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
March 18, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
Due to Covid 19 restrictions this was a virtual meeting and recorded.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Chris Ossont, Sharon Sweeney, Sarah Wimer, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the minutes of the February 18, 2021 were unanimously approved.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the Director's report for February 2021 was unanimously approved as written.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, the corrected January 2021 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #2, vouchers 2021-18 --- 2021-30. Upon a second motion duly made and seconded, the February 2021 treasurer’s report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #3, vouchers 2021-31---2021-51.
Kudos from Joanne Amato for PLC programming were shared
1.Patricia reported that the 2020 NYS Construction Grant for the roof needs to be used and work started by April 14. Several estimates were received, but after discussion of expert recommendations it was decided the roof does not need to be replaced for many more years. Yearly sealing of the roof was recommended and Patricia will seek an estimate. After more discussion, with input from Ron Kirsop and at Patricia’s direction, several other projects utilizing the grant money were considered. (This would still be appropriate use of the grant funds, but would require an amendment to the original grant.) Patricia will take care of this and seek estimates for the proposed projects.
2.Patricia also reported receiving $4,660 from a benefactor as a supplement to our budget, to be used for print, electronic and audio book purchases.
1.Several new and updated policies were provided to the Board digitally. After discussion, motions were made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept The PCL Pandemic Response Plan, The PCL Emergency and Disaster Plan, and The PCL Emergency Closing Policy. Several changes were suggested to the Personnel Policy, for further consideration.
1.Sandy noted that the February 24, 2021 finance committee minutes had been shared digitally and pointed out 2 changes. Mike announced the next meeting of March 24, 2021, 6:00 in person at PCL. Patricia, Sheryl and guest Lisa Burley from Lyons National Bank/Newark Public Library Board of Trustees will attend to continue discussion of several financial/banking issues.
Building and Grounds:
1.Patricia updated the heating situation in the back stairwell. She shared that Fleming had completed the installation of heating units in the basement and on the second floor. A basement thermostat controls the temperature and the 2 units are providing adequate heat to the stairwell.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Debbie shared that the PPP loan received during the pandemic has been forgiven. A discussion ensued and several projects were suggested for allocation of these funds.
· Patricia also reported receiving memorial donations in the name of Pat Nash.
· Debbie reminded the Board of various Trustee workshops being offered by PLS. Several Trustees had attended the recent Policy Workshop. Descriptions of the classes and registration is available on the PLS website.
· Debbie shared the proposed audit contract with Mengel, Metzger, Barr and Co. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept the auditors’ estimate for a Full Audit and PCL income tax prep for 2020. The Board asked Sheryl to sign the contract on our behalf and make payment when due.
· Patricia had shared digitally PLC’s Annual Report for Public and Association Libraries 2020. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept the report and submit it to NYS.
· Patricia also shared several sample Logos, to be used in PCL advertising, stationary, etc. After discussion, she requested the Board send their input/vote to her.
· Sheryl shared a “yearly” bill from our software provider for services she had understood to have been provided when we purchased the software. After discussion, it was agreed she would cancel the little used “Premium Support”.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the spring newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-2018
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2021 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
2. Create a committee to begin planning for the next PCL Strategic Plan.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:30.