Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
March 17, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Debbie Nagle, Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Ian Priestley, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa- PCL Treasurer Excused: Sharon Sweeney, Chris Ossont, Sarah Wimer
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the February 17, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for February 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the February 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #3, vouchers 2022-31 --- 2022-45, with $12,242.59 funds requested and approximately $16,000 for payroll transferred.” Sheryl confirmed this year’s tax payment had been deposited and will show in next month’s financials.
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: The committee just met last night, minutes will be shared digitally. Next meeting April 20, 6:30.
Policy Committee: Debbie shared updated drafts of Operations Policy, Building Use Policy and Claims Auditor Policy which were approved Feb. 22, 2022.
Facilities Committee: haven’t met.
Evaluation Committee: Mike shared the revised draft of the Director’s Evaluation for 2022. Next meeting April 11, 2022, 6:30.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· After a presentation by Patricia, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept The PCL Annual Report for Public and Association Libraries, 2021”.
· Patricia shared several estimates for exterior painting of the Library and window sill replacement/repair. After discussion a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “ to accept Jon Cauwel’s estimate for window sill repair of $3,860 and Larry Harloff’s estimate for exterior paint work, including the basement and back door entry, not to exceed $15,000.” It was noted Jon and Larry would share the use/cost of a lift.
Patricia also shared estimates for first floor refinishing. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept Western NY Floor’s estimate of $5,740, with total not to exceed $7,000.” Building Reserve $ will be earmarked for this job. Patricia will contact to set up a date.
· Patricia provided a Supplemental Fund update.
· Patricia shared an updated assessment of the garage and a discussion about obtaining access to the interior for tax/insurance purposes ensued. Several options will be pursued.
· Mike presented a final draft of an evaluation for the Director. After discussion, a motion was made , seconded and unanimously approved “to accept the proposed PCL Library Director’s Goal Based Evaluation Process for 2022.”
· Mike and Debbie reviewed proposed changes to the Personnel Policy. After discussion a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept the amendments to the Personnel Policy, including updates to Maternity Leave and Rights of Nursing Mothers using non-specific gender language.”
· There was nothing new in regards to the Causewave Grant. Notification to recipients is expected the first week of April, and, if received may be used in the next PCL Long Range Plan. Deb has OWWL templates we used previously for the Long Range Plan.
· Patricia reported a PLS Assistive Technologies Grant, to be used for audio described DVDs for those with low vision, and she anticipates adding 45-50 of these DVDs to the PCL collection. She also shared info on the Care Kits for those working with folks with dementia. The Friends have agreed to underwrite the cost of 4-5 kits.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the April 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
trategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adjourn.
Next meeting-Thursday, April 21, 2022, 6:30.