Updated: Jan 9
Palmyra Community Library
Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting
December 15, 2022, 6:30 p.m. This is an in person meeting.
Present: Sandy Goehle, Mike Braell, Sharon Sweeney, Sarah Wimer, Barbara Lloyd, Mary Beth Poupart, Patricia Baynes-Director, Sheryl LaDelfa-Treasurer Excused: Chris Ossont
Oath of Office: Mary Beth Poupart signed her Oath of Office, prior to the meeting. Welcome.
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “ the minutes of the November 17, 2022 Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting were unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the Director's report for November 2022 was unanimously approved.”
Upon a motion duly made and seconded, “the November 2022 Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved, including Abstract #12, vouchers 2022-183--- 2022-198, with $7,012.24 funds requested and approximately $17,000 for payroll transferred.”
Public Comment: none
Finance Committee: Mike briefed the Board on the previous night’s meeting, including salary estimates of 4% and 5% for 2024-2026 and the possibility of a tax levy increase vote. Minutes will be shared with the Board digitally.
Policy Committee: Did not meet. Patricia is continuing to update policies and job descriptions.
Facilities Committee: Did not meet. Will meet in Jan. after Board meeting.
Evaluation Committee: Did not meet.
Strategic Plan Committee: No longer necessary. Make sure Barb and Mary Beth have copies of the new Strategic Plan.
Upcoming Trustee Workshops:
Check the PLS website for new Trustee workshop offerings in 2022-2023. There are several workshops of interest coming up.
Items for Discussion/Resolution:
· Mike reviewed the proposed 2023 PCL Budget updates. After discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept the proposed 2023 PCL Budget.”
· Mike led a by-laws discussion as it pertains to Trustee absences. Several examples were shared. Ambiguous language about what constitutes a “satisfactory excuse” for absence needs to be clarified, expectations of attendance and how an absence is conveyed to the Board will be revisited at January Board meeting.
· Patricia had previously shared her work as parts of her annual Evaluation. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved “to accept Patricia’s work in demonstration that she meets all expectations.”
· Patricia reported that she has been working on a review and update of Library Policies, including Job Descriptions.
· The NYS Construction Grant is late, with no explanation from the state on when it might be received.
· Patricia reported the signage project to be delivered Jan. 9, and installation will immediately follow. She also reported receipt of a $1,000 local history grant received from Assemblyman Brian Manktelow. Patricia shared that Diane Rhodes was agreeable to a trial period of PCL website management for one year.
· Mike reminded the Trustees that the next PCL meeting of Jan. 19, 2023 will begin with the Annual Organizational meeting(including nomination and election of Board Officers), followed by the Monthly Board of Trustees Meeting.
· Patricia announced to the Board that she was submitting a letter of retirement, effective March 18, 2023, with March 17 being her last day of work. Her letter was accepted with regret but with the Board’s best wishes and thanks for her many years of leadership in our community. Mike will seek input from Ron Kirsop as to how to proceed to fill this vacancy at PCL.
Upcoming Events at PCL: Please refer to the December 2022 newsletter, PCL website or call the Library to check out all that’s going on.
Strategic Plan 2018-2022:
· Completed- installation of energy efficient AC for 1st floor-(2018)
· Completed-set-up of a suggestion box on the PCL website to collect patron feedback.(July 2018)
· Completed - back steps repair/improvement project.(Oct. 2018)
· Completed- external audit of PCL finances (Dec. 2018)
· Completed-Send Library news through monthly digital newsletters and e mail to increase public access to Library info (Dec. 2018)
· Completed- Creation of a CommunityResource Guide with current information about local services and organizations, in print and digital formats.(Oct. 2019)
· Completed the front parking area, including, paving, lighting, landscaping and adding a drive –up book return. (July 2020)
On deck for 2022 completion:
1.Install interior signage as guides to the Library collection and all various areas of the building.
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to “adjourn at 7:55.”
Next meeting-Thursday, January 19, 2023, 6:30.